The combination of the black ribbon against this creamy Angora linen creates a truly vintage-look accessory. This tie belt is easy to fit as it simply fastens with a soft bow at the front. We chose the IL020 weight as it was perfect for this design.
This belt is sized for a waist 27”/28” inches. Simply increase or decrease the size of the main belt piece for a larger or smaller size.
15” x 57” IL020 linen in Angora
1yd of 3/4” wide black ribbon
Iron on lightweight interfacing
To Make Your Pattern
Use squared dressmaker’s paper to make your pattern. Draw a rectangle 30” long x 9” wide.
Place your pattern on your linen and cut out once. Now fold your pattern in half lengthways and place on the interfacing and cut out once.
Steps To Sew
1. Fold your belt in half lengthways and press. Then open out. Iron your interfacing on the wrong side in one of the halves. Now on the right side of the interfaced section pin then machine your ribbon down the centre.
2. Cut two strips of linen each 18” x 2 ½” . On the right side and 2” from each end stitch a piece of ribbon to each strip.
3. With right sides together fold the strips in half lengthways and machine leaving the end without the ribbon open. Turn to the right side and press.
4. Pin then machine the raw edges of each strip to the interfaced ends of the belt piece on the right side. Make sure you centralise them over the ribbon.
5. With right sides together fold the belt in half lengthways and machine leaving an opening for turning through.
6. Turn belt to right side through opening.
7. Close opening in belt and press firmly to finish.
Designed exclusively for Fabric Store by Sue Locke
*Let us know what you thought of our latest post by leaving us a comment or visit Fabrics-store.com for bargain prices on the fabrics shown in this tutorial. Happy sewing!